Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a garage that is 14 feet high. It is a 3 car garage.

I plan to build a...
I have a garage that is 14 feet high. It is a 3 car garage. I plan to build a mezzanine over half of the garage (the two door area). I calculated that my floor depth would be about 7 inches to hold the load I need. This leaves me with 13ft 5inches. If I make the lower level where I park cars 7 feet high, I am left with 6 feet 5 inches from mezzanine floor to ceiling. Note this is like a hang out space for poker tables -an area where we will sit and smoke cigars, watch tv etc. I can play around with the heights for example make the lower 6 feet 10 inches and make the upper 6 feet 9 inches etc. I need advice, not code, I know what code would be, what would work?From a structural perspective can the outside support beams (they will be I-beams) be thicker than the interior ones- I would then step down on to the mezzanine if you know what I mean
8/21/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Could you draw me a rough sketch and take a close-up picture of it with your phone and attach it to the Chat Window?

I will. Give me a bit

let me know when you come back online

I will have it to you today by 6pm Est

Super!

No Hurry.

Thanks for the sketches. I am leaving my office right now, I will take a look at them later this evening when I get home.

Talk to you soon.

Thank you

Sorry for the delay.

1. So you will have two beams that will clear span approximately 21' and then you will have floor joists span between the two beams?

2. What will the span of the floor joists between the two 21' span beams be?

I would like to run some numbers to get rough sizes of your members, so I can work with you on clearance.

Perfect I will give you exact measurements shortly
See attached diagram. This is the idea. Willing to do whatever to have maximum clearance. Only thing we cannot do is put pillars in the middle of the area in front of the garage door. I am willing to move posts and have some overhang on each end if it helps clearance along the 20 foot side.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

To have the minimum depth of structural elements in your configuration you could use the following:

You can use W6x9 (50 ksi) steel beams, spaced at 24” o.c., for your 19’ clear span floor joists. These beams are 4” wide and 5.875” deep. They weigh 9 pounds per foot of beam length.

You can use W8x24 (50 ksi) steel beams for your two clear 20’ span edge beams joists. These beams are 6.5” wide and 7.875” deep. They weigh 24 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

These are the minimum depths you can get away with, so now you can use adjust the upper and lower ceiling heights. I would make sure I have the standard 7' clearance for the garage door, so you do not limit the type of car you can put in the garage.

The only question I have is, what type of garage door to you have, all garage hardware and rails go above the 7' garage door opening height.

We are converting the door to a vertical lift removing the motor from the middle of the room to the side wall. It will go up all the way shy 2 inches of the ceiling g

Sounds good.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Good to go thank you

Good Luck with your project!