StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I need to size a beam for a deck. The beam will be 22' and

I need to size a beam for a deck. The beam will be 22' long and run between (2) concrete piers, with no posts in between. It will run parallel with the house.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Sorry, hit enter too soon. The deck is 22' long (this dimension runs parallel with the house), x 22
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: sorry! fingers too big this morning! deck is 22' x 22'. The beam will carry 12' joists running perpendicular to the house, overlapping on the centre beam and carried at the outside end (away from house) by another beam which has multiple posts (no loading issue there.)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The beam will run down the centre of the deck. The joists are on 12" centres. sketch attached.
Hello
I can help.
Do you want to wood or steel for this beam?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for replying. I'm thinking LVL suitably protected from the elements if that is acceptable. I am in Canada, so snow load may be a factor. Same latitude as Upstate NY.
I can size an LVL, but they are really not recommended for exterior applications.
Do you know the snow load in your area? Upstate New York has a very large range of snowboarding acquirements
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its an odd application with the deck above having a waterproof membrane Please size as an LVL, and as dimensional lumber although I can't imagine how many 2x12 that's going to be? LOL. Possibly steel as well but weight handling may be an issue. I've attached 2 sheets from the building code for our area for snowloads. Thx.
I will size an LVL. Dimension lumber won't work
You can plan for a 7" x 16" 2.0E LVL