How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2601
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an opening less than 12'-0" what depth and width of

Customer Question

I have an opening less than 12'-0" what depth and width of LVL or equal beam is recommended
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: there is an existing load bearing beam which is supported by an existing column, next load bearing wall for stair case is approximately 4.5' away, I want to elimanate existng column and use a longer beam supported by load bearing wall for an open concept.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 months ago.
There is a really good chance that eliminating the post and lengthening the beam will impose more load on the beam and also require cutting existing joists.
Can you post a picture for me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am in Detroit Michigan, I am a civil and arch. Engineer my self. I also have span book from Canadian lumber association.
I was wondering if some body could come to the site and give me there analytical suggestion by physically looking at the existing situation and personally talk to me and propse what to do next.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 months ago.
If you need someone to visit the site, you'll need to reach out to a local engineer. The best we could do is converse with pictures and by phone