walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I want to support a patio roof made of 2x8 s 14 feet

I want to support a patio roof made of 2x8 s 14 feet deep.conventional asphalt roofing. I want to span 29' with a rectangular steel beam. What size beam ?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: What do u want to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: No just a basic patio roof. Want to eliminate the center post. Currently has 3x6 1/8 wall spanning 16 feet.

I can help.

Can you draw a rough sketch, take a picture of it and attach it to the Chat Window?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok will do tomorrow morning.

Sounds good, talk to you in the morning

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Diagram of patio structureDiagram of patio structure

Thanks fr the picture.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Hold on while I take a look and run a few numbers.

Couple of questions:

1. What city and state are you located in for possible snow load consideration?

2. On the left side of your drawing, it looks like the proposed steel tube cantilevers out several feet, what is that cantilever distance?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It extends out two feet on the left 1 foot on the right. It is in Scottsdale az.

One more question, do the 14' span roof joists overhang the beam, like 12" to 18"?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
18 inches with a 2x12 fascia

You can use a T8x6x 3/8” (50 ksi) structural steel tube for your 29’ clear span beam. The tube is 6” wide and 8” deep. You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your column supports, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, please click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have access to 3x6 and 3x8 beams with either .250 walls would that sag ?

Sorry to say, that would not come close to clear spanning 29'.

That is the most compact beam you can use

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you. JIM

Good Luck with your project!

Let me know if you have any other questions.