Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Want to add ridge support to an old garage roof. Ridge is…

Customer Question
Want to add ridge...

Want to add ridge support to an old garage roof. Ridge is 21' 2" long 2x6s. All roof rafters & ceiling Joists are 2x6s. Garage width is 14'. Walls are 3 hole concrete block. There is No extra bracing. Rafters set on top of joists. If I was to use one ibeam instead of the 3 2x6s what size ibeam woulD I use?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Could I remove every other ceiling joist if I add enough ridge support?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
8/18/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello. I can help.
Ok
The question was simple enough I think.
Are you planning to get rid of the joists? And have a cathedral ceiling?
A semi- cathedral every other joist gets removed, if safe with added wood or metal beam.
Posts can be added from remaining joists,
If needed.
All you are going to do is remove every other joist? And that is it?
Ridged Insulation in rafters, yes I guess that would make it a cathedral.
Yes every other one more joists left than taken.
I tend to over engineer things, to be safe.
But metal or wood 2x8 21st long.
2x8s. 21 feet long. How many?
I was thinking 3. Or metal what size?
Hello!
Oh, I forgot the roof has a 4:12 pitch.
Are the rafters connected to the joists?
If so, how?
The rafters are connected to and on top of its joist, the joists are connected to the wall top plate 2x8s. I am adding 2x8s against wall under and flat to all, all the joists, glued and screwed.I would like to ....start at one end peak wall
Leave 1st joist, remove 3, leave 2, remove 3, leave 2, remove 3, leave 1 and other end peak wall.
Or at least every other joist. Both with a ridge beam.
Can you attach a picture or sketch of how they are attached?
I am trying to get a picture in here but not having any luck.
Can I text it, and to where? If so.
I'm not allowed to post personal contact information. Looks for the paper clip icon here to attach it
I see them now. I have a solution that will allow you to remove every other joist without having to do anything to the ridge beam.
I will have to submit a premium service offer for it, but should save you a lot of money on replacing the ridge beam

I will submit the offer for you to consider. It will include a sketch or two to convey the information.

I just submitted the offer. If you accept the offer, I will need a couple hours to do the calculations and get everything together.