Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I am considering purchasing a property in Northern

California to renovate, but not...
I am considering purchasing a property in Northern California to renovate, but not certain about the foundation. This is an "as is" purchase with pre-purchase inspections done by the seller. This is an 850 sf SFR structure on a 5000 sf lot. The foundation is concrete and looks OK to me aside from cracks in the garage. The cracks can be easily caulked. There is no crawl space under the house. I don't have a construction background and don't have time to get a full inspection before offers are due. What do I need to look for to confirm there are no foundation issues? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/18/2017
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help.

There are several issues you can look at to help you determine if there are possible foundation issues:

1. If there are cracks in the concrete slab, check to see if there is differential settlement (i.e. one side of the crack is higher than the other). This could indicate settlement.

2. Walk all of the rooms and see if you get any sense of the slab tending to be uneven or sloped in any one direction.

3. Make sure you open and close all of the windows and door to make sure they operate and are not getting stuck in the frame or scraping on the floor.

4. On the outside, check to see if there are any cracks in the stucco that radiate out from the corners of the windows at a 45 degree angle.

I hope these tips help.

walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Extremely helpful! THANK YOU.

Good Luck with your purchase!

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant