Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I demolished a wall between my living and dining room to put

Hi ! JA: Hi. How can...
Hi !
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I demolished a wall between my living and dining room to put a beam across the bearring wall I noticed a angled wood brace against the chimney
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: this a 40's house I noticed they added a metal brace in the attic and wnodered if this light wood brace was something of the past
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: that is pretty much it
This is a 1 story house
8/18/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Was that buried inside the wall?
Hello, are you asking me if the right part seats against the chimney ? I haven't openned the wall further, but after the 2x4 on the far right is the brick chimney
I meant was it inside the wall? Not visible before you opened the drywall?
the "brace" itselft doesnt touch the floor, it is nailed to the piece of wood you see on the picture
It looks like it was for temporary bracing during construction
If it's not connected to the chimney, you can assume so
i'm opening the wall a little more, but it smees to go all the way to the chimney
That's ok. Does it physically connect to the chimney?
no, it passes in front of the chimney, and doesnt touch it
Then it's just temporary bracing
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Great !! thanks for the help !!
No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant