walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

What size beam do i need for a single story garage ridge

What size beam do i need for a single story garage ridge 22' long. Garage is 18' wide. 2"x12" rafters and 2"x6" collar ties. Asphalt roof. Wind zone 120 mph
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Garage - 22' long x 18' wide. Wood fram construction. 2"x6" walls. 1/2" plywood sheathing.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: nope it's pretty simple!

I can help

What city and state are you located in for possible snow load consideration?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sag harbor ny
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
120 mph wind zone.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here are elevations
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
here are plans

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Hold on, let me take a look at your information

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 22’ clear span ridge beam:

5-1/2” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

3-1/2” x 16” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. That's all I need.

Good Luck with your project!