Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm building a pergola. I've placed 6, 4x4x12 posts 2 feet…

Customer Question
I'm building a pergola...

I'm building a pergola. I've placed 6, 4x4x12 posts 2 feet in the ground with concrete 16 feet apart horizontally and 12 feet apart vertically. I am wondering what size header to use to connect the 4x4's horizontally (16ft) and what lumber vertically (12ft) that would support a metal roof.

Tutor's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Also, would I need to put the header on both sides of the 4x4 to equalize the load and prevent twisting?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
8/6/2017
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 11 months ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you provide me any pictures of what you have so far?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

No, its dark out now. What part of my description is confusing? I'm describing it as if you were looking at it on a sheet of paper.
I can draw it out

That would be great. Nothing fancy.

A picture is worth a 1,000 words.

Thanks for the drawing, let me take a look at it.

What city and state are you located in for possible snow load consideration?

Mississippi. No chance of a snow load ever.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Hold on, let me run a few numbers.

If you want to span 12' at 24" o.c., you will need to use 2"x6" Southern Pine (#2 grade) joists.

For your two exterior 16' spans, you can use Double 2"x10" Southern Pine (#2 grade) members

For your center 16' span, to can use Double 2"x14" Southern Pine (#2 grade) members

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Your answer is not clear.

I have attached a rough sketch. Hope this helps.