walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I had a tree fall on my house.It fell right on the corner of

Customer Question

I had a tree fall on my house.It fell right on the corner of the house where a triple stud is in the wall.Can it cause damage to my foundation
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: After the tree fell then my basement started leaking every time it rains and the insurance company says it is not from the tree even with prof it never leaked before the tree.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I think that should
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 2 months ago.

I can help

Do you have any picture you can share with me (damage pictures and after repair pictures)?

There is a button on the Chat Window that allows you to attach files.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will upload pic and get them to you.
Thanks

That would be great.

No Hurry

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is a few photos I am trying to get the picture of the tree on the roof to you as well.
But I am having problems.
The tree fell perfectly on the corner of the house above this wall and as you can see in the pic. The wood is not black from long time water being on it. Just wet!

Thanks for the pictures.

I assume the pictures of the cracks are in the basement wall, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am still trying to get the outside pic.to you

Let me know when you get the picture sent.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you please send me a reg.email that I can send the outside picture to.I can not get them to load on the site.

I can not share personal e-mail (site rules). Can you please contact Customer Service and let them know you have a file you need to share with me? They will be able to get it to me. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

Let me know after you contact Customer Service.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Did you get the outside pictures

I received the pictures, thanks.

Based on the pictures you submitted, in my engineering judgement, it is highly unlikely that this tree falling on your roof made the cracks in your concrete foundation/basement wall.

When the tree hits your roof, it's impact load will be spread out over a fairly large area (roof system transfers load along the wall supporting it, into the continuous bottom plate, then across the top of the concrete basement wall, etc)

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If that is so then how do you explain the leak,No leak then tree hits the house now I have a leak?

My thoughts are that the tree falling did not damage the foundation enough to make it crack and leak.

1. What type of repair was done to the roof, exterior framed wall and siding on your house?

2. Water leaks can be very difficult to trace. They may come through the roof in one location and work their way across elements and appear a distance away from the point of entry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is no water anywhere upstairs.the roof was completely redone and the basement still leaks when it rains. All the water is coming out of the foundation.Everyone including the insurance company agrees on that.
They are just saying it is not from the tree.makes no sense.No leak,Tree hits house,Now leak.
What is your next guess

So you can physically see water seeping out of the cracks in the concrete foundation wall, or just the general area gets wet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
right in the corner behind the 3 stud on the basement wall picture.
Upstairs the stud are the same

Yes you see water coming out of the cracks?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it has water streaks running down from the cracks
When it rains it comes right out of the top of the crack and runs down in the corner of the wall.
If you look at the inside pictures you can also tell by the clear color of the wood that this not a old
leak.

The crack pictures are a bit blurry on my end.

I assume, since you have a basement, that you have gravel installed behind you basement walls and you have a sump pump in your basement, am I correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the foundation has been great for 14 years.never had a drop of water until this tree.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I assume the fondation was done correctly,with drain tile and such since there has never been not one leak until now.

You build a good case, but I do not see a good way to convince the Insurance Company, if they are just shutting you out.

If you have the proper drainage behind your basement walls and you have a functioning sump pump system, you are going to need to caulk your cracks with a silicone sealer and then maybe apply a Drylok product on your walls. This should return the drainage function to the back side of the wall, since there should not be any pressure build-up.

Let me know if you have any more questions or comments