Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I'm looking to build a mezzanine 10.5m wide 3.5m deep off…

Customer Question
I'm looking to build...

I'm looking to build a mezzanine 10.5m wide 3.5m deep off the back wall of my shed, attaching to existing shed frame posts (100x100mm, cemented into ground 600mm) is it possible to span the whole width without putting posts in the middle of my shed floor?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

Shed has 100x100 posts every 3.5m around the exterior, all cemented into ground 600mm. 100mm cement slab for shed floor. Roof trusses and posts etc are all welded not just screwed and bolted.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If a 10.5m span is not possible. Would it be possible to have the posts from the mezzanine attach to the roof rather than the floor to keep a clear area underneath?
8/3/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello

What will span the 3.5m?

What kind of decking will you use?

What will the space be used for?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The 3.5m span would be c150 purlins at 450mm centres with 19mm x 900 yellow tongue flooring glued and screwed to bearers. But I want the bearers to span the 10.5m width of the shed to leave an open area underneath with no posts in the way.The mezzanine is mostly just for a loft, put a queen size bed up there to use for a spare bedroom in the centre. Light storage off to the sizes where the roof is not as high.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
glued and screwed to joists I meant to say. With joists either cleated or welded to the bearers. Back wall bearer can be welded between the shed wall posts (4 posts, 1 every 3.5m) so the span is not an issue there. Just the remaining bearer towards the middle of the shed