Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a 16 foot wide span every 8 feet, over all length is…

Customer Question
I have a 16...

I have a 16 foot wide span every 8 feet, over all length is 24 feet. What size of douglas fir should I use?

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Building a covered patio out of post and beam construction

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

Yes, what size posts should I use?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
7/31/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 8 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Hi there, I'm Ken
Hi Ken. Is this for a primary beam?
Where are the answers? No more money.
I have some questions. The first one is above
the 16' foot by 28' post and beam structure has 4 posts on the 28 foot sides; the beam size is for the 16 foot span (width) between posts.
Which direction does the ridge run?What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?
I will need 2 of these beams and 2 to other beams which will also support a loft.
Can you post a sketch showing your layout and where you want a loft?
Fillmore Utah 84631
east and west
The beam will be out of rough cut Douglas Fir
Are you able to post a sketch? I'm asking questions. I'm not sure if you don't see them, but I need quite a bit more information.
How do I add a snipit to the conservation box?
see files
I'm assuming you have what information you need?
Good morning JA
There is no framing shown. Just an outline of he building and some posts
Did you click on the other sheets?
I didn't see the other sheets in the workbook. Let me check it out now.
my first design was with 6" x 6" beams then I could see the need for some expert help in sizing the beams
Good morning JA, is there any progress?Ken

What member do you want me to size?

JA, how are you? I hope we can get this done today?
1. The 8 upright posts,
2. the 16 foot span beams (2) different ones, (2) the same design with out loft, and (2) with loft
3. and the truss beam portion
JA,I need the infoKen

Hello. I apologize for the delay. I didn't receive a notice that you responded. I can do this as a premium service or provide one size as this question. Just let me know if you want me to submit the premium service offer.

size the 16' beams

You can plan for 5.25" x 14" 2.0E LVL beams. They will limit deflection to L/360

As stated in the beginning, the beams are Douglas fur rough cut beams, what size will they need to be for the 16 foot span
8x18 Doug fir timber that meets grading standards for no. 2
Would an 8x8 bolted to a 10x10 substitute for the 8x18
No. The shear flow wouldneve check out for the bolts.
Would an 8x8 bolted to a 10x10 substitute for the 8x18 ?
Here is what I mean, please see attached. If this would work I could build the upper portion of the bend separate then bolt them to the lower section.
That's what I assumed. That is not the same as a 18" beam
OK, using two beams, what size would they need to be, as the original sketch showed the two beams together?
Two 10x10 and they need to be graded no. 1

Do you have any other questions on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant