Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

What is the snow load rating for a flat roof in Gurnnee, IL?

JA: OK. Tell me a...
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Trying to size a support beam for a 245" span under a Metl-span 5" thick foam panel ceiling.
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
7/13/2017
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
Do you need to know the flat roof snow load requirements?
I need to know what size steel beam to run across the underside of a 5" thick Metl-Span foam panel flat roof to carry the panel and snow load. The room has a 245" span between the existing 3" foam panels that are carrying the old, broken 3" roof panels.
The new 5" roof panels are 17' long with one end supported by a plate on the house and the other end by an existing 3" foam panel wall that is 177" out from the house.
The previous installation had no support across the middle, and utilized 3" roof panels. The roof buckled and leaked over the years. I am adding a pair of posts and a 245" beam across the width of the room for stability. (as well as 5" roof panels). I need to know what beam to use. eg. W6X9??-14?? Would rather use a heaver 4" for head clearance inside. Thanks

What is the self weight of the panels (in psf)? Can you post a framing sketch for me?

The 5" panels we are going to use weigh 3.2 PSF and have a walkable utility rating of 20.4 PSF.
There is no framing plan. The existing roof sets on a plate along the width (245") on the house and the outer wall of the room(177" out from the house. The side walls and the outer wall are existing 3" foam panels.
I am adding a beam inside the room across the 245" dimension about 7' from the wall plate. This will be supported by a vertical pipe or beam to the concrete slab. This is the beam size I need.
The last sentence of my previous post may be confusing.
The beam I am adding (245") will be supported at both ends with posts. I need the size of the beam.

What is the panel length on each side of the beam?

Wall plate to beam center is 84".
Beam center to outside wall is 93"

You will need a W6x20 to work for the load rating of the panel and limit deflection to L/360

Does this include the snow weight?

You said the panels have a rating of 20.4 psf for LL. I designed the beam for the 20.4 LL plus the 3.2 dead load of the panels.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant