StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

What is the snow load rating for a flat roof in Gurnnee, IL?

Customer Question

JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Trying to size a support beam for a 245" span under a Metl-span 5" thick foam panel ceiling.
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 9 days ago.
Hello
Do you need to know the flat roof snow load requirements?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I need to know what size steel beam to run across the underside of a 5" thick Metl-Span foam panel flat roof to carry the panel and snow load. The room has a 245" span between the existing 3" foam panels that are carrying the old, broken 3" roof panels.
The new 5" roof panels are 17' long with one end supported by a plate on the house and the other end by an existing 3" foam panel wall that is 177" out from the house.
The previous installation had no support across the middle, and utilized 3" roof panels. The roof buckled and leaked over the years. I am adding a pair of posts and a 245" beam across the width of the room for stability. (as well as 5" roof panels). I need to know what beam to use. eg. W6X9??-14?? Would rather use a heaver 4" for head clearance inside. Thanks
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 2 day ago.

What is the self weight of the panels (in psf)? Can you post a framing sketch for me?

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
The 5" panels we are going to use weigh 3.2 PSF and have a walkable utility rating of 20.4 PSF.
There is no framing plan. The existing roof sets on a plate along the width (245") on the house and the outer wall of the room(177" out from the house. The side walls and the outer wall are existing 3" foam panels.
I am adding a beam inside the room across the 245" dimension about 7' from the wall plate. This will be supported by a vertical pipe or beam to the concrete slab. This is the beam size I need.