Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I built an outdoor roof over a deck and want to put soil up

Customer Question
top and grow some grass...
I built an outdoor roof over a deck and want to put soil up top and grow some grass. The roof is 30'x14'. I want to put a metal beam in the middle spanning 30'. What size beam should I use? it'll have 4" of soil on top.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/13/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 4 months ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
Do you need just that beam sized or do you need the entire system checked and engineered?
I can send you a picture of what I built
I can see it. Will you add new posts for the steel beam?
I was hoping to do only on the ends. Is that possible?
basically I'm hoping that under the roof in the middle can be open.
you there?
that is possible. Do you need to have the joists checked with the new loading and shorter span? Do you need to post sized? Do you need the existing posts checked for the increased load? Do you need the footing design?
I don't really know what I need
Looking for advice
I'm happy to size the beam only as this question.
I can also do the rest of the checks that I think you would need to, but that would be a premium service. I would have to submit that offer and have you excepted in order to do all the additional checks and footing design
I asked what kind of beam I should use for the middle. Isn't that what I paid for? Can you answer that?

Yes. I just wanted to be sure you didn't want anything else.

What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?

fleischmanns, NY

W16x40 or W14x53

The dimensions? 14x30. Length of beam is 30'

The first number is ***** depth in inches. The second number is ***** self weight of the beam in pounds per linear foot.

Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 3 months ago

Hello. Do you have any other questions on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant