walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am building a roof over my patio. The patio is 14' out

Customer Question

I am building a roof over my patio. The patio is 14' out from the house and I want a 3/12 pitch on the roof. The patio is 25'-5" long. I will have 4 post across the front edge of the patio, the span of each beam will be 8'-6". I believe I can do the rafters with 2x8's at 24" o.c., Fb=1100 Hem Fir, and the beams caring the roof load (2) 2x8's glued and nailed. I'm I correct? Thank you.
JA: OK. Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I am designing the roof with a 30 lb live load and a 15 lb dead load, and a deflection 1/240 I planning to have a tongue and grooved ceiling.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.
Hello. I can help.
Where did you get Fb=1100 psi for hem fir in an exterior environment?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe that is the typical fiber bending stress of lumber in my area, Northeast Ohio, from any dyi center? I am not quite sure if I need to use treated wood which would be Yellow Pine, probably No2 which would be a lot stronger.
The basic Fb for hem fir no. 2 is 850 psi, not 1100. When you adjust for size, load duration, and moisture conditions, you will get something different, but it starts at 850, not 1100
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If you can't give me an answer, please refund my $5.00. I will find the answer to my question elsewhere.
I can give you an answer. I was trying to help you understand. I'm going to opt out for you.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Am I being charged $31.00 for this info? I thought it was free for the first month. If so do not answer my question and refund my money and opt me out of your site.

You haven't been charged anything yet. I'll be happy to request a refund for you. I apologize, but I prefer not to deal with that type of attitude when I'm attempting to provide information that will be different than what you're assuming. I will request your refund. Good luck with your project.