walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am planning out my rough design (before hiring an

Customer Question

Hi, I am planning out my rough design (before hiring an engineer) for a free standing patio cover i'd like to have built. Just wondering about beams and maximum length. Could you help me with rough ideas?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I would like to build an open gable type roof for a free standing patio cover. But the dimensions call for a very large opening span of 24feet and the depth will be 12 feet. is this possible? what beam size would i need? a 4x12 beam?
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Can't think of any at the moment. just open gable roof and free standing patio cover. 24' x 12' thanks
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 4 months ago.
Hello
I can help
I'm assuming the bridge is running a 24 foot direction? Is that correct? What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading? It's 4 x 12 beam will not even be close to the right size
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i live in southern california. Lake Forest, CA 92630
What about the rest of the questions?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is a rough sketch of the idea i was thinking of. The width (span) of the entire patio cover is 24feet, but i only want half of it to have the open gable roof. The left side above the BBQ island could be open or have simple patio slats. I have placed a (dotted line) post in the middle as a design option to cut the 24' span in half

Is the dimension in and out of the page 12'?

Hello. Do you still need help with this?