walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I am considering purchasing an early 1900s brick home and

Customer Question

I am considering purchasing an early 1900s brick home and would like to re-build the entire inside. To do this, I'd like to remove the basement floor and pour fresh footing/ to support a much heavier home constructed with concrete pillars etc. What are the drawbacks to this approach that I may be missing?
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would be keeping the house's brick walls but removing much of the flooring/ ceilings/ walls to make way for larger concrete infrastructure to allow for a completely open space.
Expert:  walkereng replied 3 months ago.

I have a couple items of concern:

1. Need to maintain the brick exterior wall integrity, while you remove interior floor diaphragms and shear walls. You should have a local structural engineer come out and inspect your home and give you an appropriate construction sequence to follow during your tear out and rebuild. You can not tear everything out at once.

2. You will also need to get a geotechnical report to make sure your existing soils can support your increase concrete structure loads (you do not want any settlement).

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks