Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I am designing a roof for an addition on an old building. I…

Customer Question
Hi I am designing...

Hi I am designing a roof for an addition on an old building. I would like to save a part of the old roof system.

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Got it. You've come to the right place. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

The snow load requirement is large. It's 387 psf. the roof in question was built with TJI's 16" deep 24" OC. the rafters are running a 9'6" span 8/12 slope making the rafters 11'5 long. Total roof area = 171 sq ft. would this roof meet the required snow load rating?

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?

I think thats enough info

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
3/29/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
387 psf? That can't be correct?
That's 10' depth of snow
Which 16" TJI? There are different classes? 230? 530?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
387 psf is correct. Not sure on the TJI class let's assume the strongest one untill I can get more info.I'm a contractor in the area. I have aprox. 15' of snow in my yard. The requirement is for 100% of the ground snow load. I'm told in most other areas they use a percentage.
Wow!
Ok. Give me a few minutes to run numbers.
It does check out for 16" TJI 560. No other one is close for 16" depth.