Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

I have a laminated center beam made up of 4, 2x10, This is…

Customer Question
I have a laminated...

I have a laminated center beam made up of 4, 2x10

Tutor's Assistant: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

This is in ceiling. 2x10 attach to it. I want to take out 2 feet of wall that supported on one end to make the overall span 12' 6". There is a bedroom on second floor. Is this advisable? want to take

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?

No just want to take out the 2' wall that jets out from the exterior wall. Both ends of the 12' 6" span is supported.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
You will have to replace the beam, because it almost certainly doesn't continue in far enough to just remove the wall
it will need to be larger or different material to span the extra 2'
I can size it. What is the joist length on each side of the beam? Will it support just the one floor or also an attic?