walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

Can anyone explain this code. California Planning Code

Hello,Can anyone explain this code. California
Planning Code Section 260(a)(1)(C) states, “Where the lot slopes upward from a street at the centerline of the building or building step, such point shall be taken at curb level for purposes of measuring the height of the closest part of the building within 10 feet of the property line of such street; at every other cross-section of the building, at right angles to the centerline of the building or building step, such point shall be taken as the average of the ground elevations at either side of the building or building step at that cross-section. The ground elevations used shall be either existing elevations or the elevations resulting from new grading operations encompassing an entire block. Elevations beneath the building shall be taken by projecting a straight line between ground elevations at the exterior walls at either side of the entire building in the same plane.” Thanks.

I can help

Let me take a look

1. Determine the building C/L

2. Project that location back out to the top of curb location. This will be the base elevation to use to measure building height within 10’ of the property line.

3. To take other height measurements of the building, you need to use the average ground elevation measured perpendicular to your building C/L [(low side + high side)/2].

4. Elevations under the building will be based on the straight line that connects to two ground elevations discussed in my item #3 above.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Walker,Thank you for responding. According to this code section Planning Code Section 260(a)(1)(C) this code has nothing to do with measuring the height of the building, is this correct? Also please look at the two attachments both are of the same building and same area but one has a dashed line that goes in a straight upward line and the other goes straight level for several feet then jogs upward for several feet and then goes in an upward straight line. Does this Planning Code Section 260(a)(1)(C) have anything to do with the way the dashed line goes? Thank you.Oh yea one more thing the code say: “…for purposes of measuring the height of the closest part of the building within 10 feet of the property line of such street…” It says the closest part within 10’ so I’m assuming it would be the face of the building would be the closest to the property line?

1. That is not correct. The title of Section 260 is "HEIGHT LIMITS: MEASUREMENT".

2. That jog in the dashed line is either the 10' limit from the property line or there is a step in the foundation at that point.

3. It would be the any part of the structure within 10' of the property line. For example, if the face of the building is only 5' from the property line thne you would continue another 5' and look to see if the roof height at the that point is higher than the face of the building and then use that.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Walker,Thank you for responding, can you provide us with the specific code that supports you #3 above?

Please see Part C in the link below:

http://planning.sanfranciscocode.org/1/102/102.12/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The code says:
“…for purposes of measuring the height of the closest part of the building within 10 feet of the property line…”
and you say:
“…if the face of the building is only 5' from the property line thne you would continue another 5'...”
The code does not say go beyond the 5’ it says “the closest part” so you would measure from the 5’. “C” does not support your statement.

You appear to be correct. In my research from one of your earlier questions, I remember somewhere that it talked about the "highest" part of the structure that is within 10' of the property line, not just the closest.

I will to a quick search to see if I can find the section that I remember.

I was using Item #2 in the following link (1st sentence):

http://planning.sanfranciscocode.org/2.5/260/

Let me know if you have any more questions