Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

21 yr. old house with open web floor trusses, 19.25" o.c.,

Customer Question
21 yr. old house with...
21 yr. old house with open web floor trusses, 19.25" o.c., spanning 42' resting on two beams dividing span into thirds. 14" high with 2x4's on the flat top & bottoms w/2x4" struts. For some reason bottom chords have been cut through just behind 2nd beam & have dropped about 1/4"-3/8" from the top of the beam. I'm thinking of nailing a 2x4" ledger to the beam to support the cut ends. Will this suffice? Room above is a bedroom.
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Answered in 2 days by:
11/30/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
N o, sorry. An experienced guy also suggested nailing 14" high, 2x4 blocks to either side of the truss next to the cut portion.

So the bottom 2x4 is cut in one of the bays or in various bays?

Let me know when you come back online

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This isn't going to work. Let's forget it.

OK, sorry.

Have a good Holiday Season!

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant