StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My house was built in 2003. There are foundation problems

Customer Question

My house was built in 2003. There are foundation problems that have caused numerous cracks in the brick and inside drywall. I had Tennessee Foundation Services out here twice, and cracks are back in the same places as before. They now tell me that there need to be most posts put in on another area of the house because that's causing the cracks to return on other side of house. I'm a single woman and i feel they're trying to take further advantage. How expensive to get an engineer to come out and give an opinion?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 8 months ago.
Hello
I'll be happy to assist you
I recommend never hiring a contractor to fix an issue without first hiring an engineer to diagnose the problem. As you're finding out, contractors will try multiple methods without really knowing what the problem is.
You should be able to get an engineer to diagnose the problem for $1k - $2k. The cost of the solution will depend on the level of effort he determines is required after understanding the problem.