walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

What size & thickness I-beam. I have a 24ftx24ft garage &

Customer Question

what size & thickness I-beam. I have a 24ftx24ft garage & with a high peak & want to provide above storage, no specific live load designated but assume 700lbs to 1200lbs spread out. The joists running left to right are spaced at 48in & aren't braced to peak at all. I want to support from below with one beam or possibly two smaller beams transferring the load to the floor.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 8 months ago.

I can help

So you want a beam to clear span 24' and split the garage ceiling in half, making 12' span ceiling joists off of each side of the beam.

Or you want two 24' clear span beams that will break the ceiling joists into 3 spans of 8' joists, correct?

What size are the joists?

You will need to add joists in between the 4' o.c. joists to carry the load, what spacing do you want on the joists, 24" o.c. or 16" o.c.?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
joists are 2x10in

You will need to add an extra 2x10 in between your existing 2x10's to make your configuration into 2x10's spaced at 24" o.c.

Let me run a few numbers for your steel beams, hold on

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I want 24' and split the garage ceiling in half, making 12' span ceiling joists off of each side of the beam.joists are 2x10"x24''

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

You can use a W8x24 (50 ksi) steel beam for your 24’ clear span beam. The beam is 6.5” wide and 7.875” deep. It weighs 24 pounds per foot of beam length.

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your column supports, and determine foundation requirements.

You will need to add an extra 2x10 in between your existing 2x10's to make your joist configuration into 2x10's spaced at 24" o.c.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions

Expert:  walkereng replied 7 months ago.