Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I HAVE A WALL TO TAKE OUT OF AN INTERNAL BUILDING IN A

Customer Question
FACTORY.IT HAS ONLY CEILING LOAD...
I HAVE A WALL TO TAKE OUT OF AN INTERNAL BUILDING IN A FACTORY.IT HAS ONLY CEILING LOAD AND STRUCTOR FLOOR AS ACSESS ON TOP. THERE IS 280X65 LAMINATED BEAMS AT 1200 CENTRES SPANNING 8.5 METRES AS A ROOF STRUCTURE. PART OF THE BUILDING IS ALREADY OPEN FOR THE FULL SPAN. IS THERE ANY NEED FOR EXTRA BEAMS TO SUPPORT THIS SPAN .WALL THAT NEEDS TO BE REMOVED DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE SUPPORTING.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the structural engineer should be aware of?
Customer: I DONT BELIEVE SO
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
11/15/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Do you have any pictures you can share with me?

There is a button on the Chat Window that lets you attach files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately not.. Beams are laminated timber not laminated veneer.. Lvl. Well supported at each end and do appear to fly over the internal walls.. One area 3.6m wide already clear spanning the full 8.5m. Structure is an office block within a large factory.. No roof load only ceiling and associated trim below and particle board flooring above.

If the office was added after the original building construction, then the walls of the office most likely only support the roof over the office and not the roof over the entire building.

I could not give you a specific answer without any pictures of the actual configuration.

If you can take a few pictures (up close and back a way) in the next few days and share them with me, that would work. There is no hurry on my end.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
office block completely separate within factory.. Really just need to know the allowable span for 280x65 laminated beams with very minimal load. Part of the office is already open to full span and shows no sign of sagging after many years.. Just looking for some confirmation on allowable span..cheers

Would you be able to take some pictures? I really need to see your configuration. You know what they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately not.. Will not be back on-site til the factory Christmas shut down.. Photos may not make things obvious anyway.. Had to pull air-conditioning ducts out to see construction.. Am happy with how the beams are supported at either end.. Just after some guidance on the spans. Beams are block laminated not lvl veneer laminated.. Cheers

The only way I can really guide you for sure is if I have a few pictures.

Can you have someone who is at the factory location now, take some pictures and text them to you and then you can send them to me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I understand that pictures probably should have been taken but at the time didn't think they would show much.. Was not looking for legal guarantees just some guidance.. Have found span tables that I believe suit the situation.. Rafters with ceiling load..+ minimal roof load that suggest the span is ok as I can see in the area that is already without a dividing wall. Unless there is something you can add that I may not have thought of.. Thank you for your time.. Cheers anthony.

I also understand.

I can give you some general guidance.

Like I said earlier, if the office was added after the original building construction, then the walls of the office most likely only support the roof over the office and not the roof over the entire building.

Another thing you can look at, since your building is most likely large, if there are equal roof spans in areas of the building without an office and they have the same roof beams spanning the larger clear span, then the roof beams you have for the roof over the office zone should work.

I hope this helps.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Let me know if you have any more questions.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant