How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2599
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

There! I have a residential structural engineering question.

Customer Question

Hi, there! I have a residential structural engineering question.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have 3 ceiling trusses in my basement that need repair. One of them had some minor work done by a P.E. but now, 3 months later, that ceiling truss is bowed and part of the support is splintered.
JA: Is there anything else the structural engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, the ceiling truss next to the worst ceiling truss is also bowed. The third ceiling truss is cracked in two places; however, the P.E. who looked at the problem said that the one he did the minor repair to was the worst. I'm not sure what to do and how to get all of this repaired.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I can help.

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Have you called a contractor?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I haven't involved a contractor yet. I was promised by one of the top P.E.s in the Philadelphia area that he would do the work for me as a favor. He did part of the work on the worst of the 3 ceiling trusses; however, because he didn't follow through, the worst ceiling truss is bowed even further and where he tried to sister the truss, that piece of wood is splintered and I found some of the splinters several feet away indicating that there is a lot of force being exerted on that one truss. I am concerned if I involve a contractor, they will only tell me that I need a structural engineer. I can't seem to find a structural engineer willing to help on a small residential project like this. I'm very frustrated and disappointed that my structural engineer friend didn't follow through with his word and has left me to deal with quite a mess!!
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

Do you have the ability to put dimension lumber sisters in place of the affected trusses and leave them abandoned in place?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't understand what you are saying. You are using industry terms.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

basically use 2x joists and ignore the contribution of the trusses.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Where do the two joists go? How do you know this is the solution if you haven't seen any pictures?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.

I'm asking if you can do that.