StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I need to see if I can remove and exterior wall and place a

Customer Question

I need to see if I can remove and exterior wall and place a beam that is beside the second story rim joist to support rather than directly under it.
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I have a picture? Explaining it is a bit hard
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: I need to upload a photo
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need to see if it is possible to hide a beam up along the rim joist of the attached picture. I am going to place a lean to roof over the bump out for the kitchen and want to have a smooth ceiling from the existing room rather than a header. I plan to place a support post at mid point of 13'6". I am wondering if I can put some LVL's that hold the cantilevered portion of the second story up with a 13'6" span on each side of the post?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 11 months ago.
Hello
I see your picture. What exactly is the question?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I need to see if it is possible to place a beam alongside of the rim joist of the second story cantilever so it is hidden and allows a flat ceiling for the kitchen/dining room bump out? I realize I can place one underneath the second story floor with a header encroaching into the room space but do not want that. Is there a way to put the beam alongside of the upper story after ripping the plaster out down to the raw sheathing and rim joist and bolt through and support it from the side rather than from directly under?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By the way the floor system and rim joist of the second story are 2"x10" dimensional lumber
I tried to accept the call, but the payment didn't go through?
Do you want this beam in line with the lower wall (inboard) or upper wall (outboard)?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have re-entered payment info if you want to try to call. I want the bottom of the beam to be flush with the cantilevered floor joists. My engineering question is: can a bean be hidden alongside the existing rim joist my bolting through, gluing or some sort of attachment to support it from the side rather than from directly underneath which would create a hitter I do not want?
attached to the rim joist? No inboard of it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct. Outboard it sounds like.
Ok. What wasn't making sense is the post location you show would require it to be inboard or else the post would be exterior to the house
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The support post would also support the rim joist and potentially up to a 1/2 inch angle iron or some other member you may suggest. That would put it under the New LVL beam and the existing rim joist
it would be outside the house? Not in the wall?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry the line drawing does not make it clear. The post would be under the new beam and the rim joist. The bottom of the new beam would be flush with the bottom of the upper rim joist
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are through with this conversation. I see you get paid by the question. That is unacceptable as you are asking way to many if you ever were a structural engineer.
I get paid for this one question as a whole, not every question within this question