Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I have a one story commercial building with finished

Customer Question
basement. The foundation is...
I have a one story commercial building with finished basement. The foundation is concrete block with posts and steel beams running 25 feet on center from left to right every 16 feet. THE floor joists tying into I BEAMS Are 2" X 10 (OR 12) INCHES BY 16 FEET. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH SNOW LOAD, BUT ALWAYS SHOVEL OFF ROOF WHEN IT GETS TO 3-4FEET. AM CONsidering SOLAR PANELS AND AM WONDERING ABOUT THE ADDITIONAL WEIGHT OF THE pANELS IN THE WINTER. Some ARE MOUNTED IN THE ROOF AND SOME ARE INSTALLED WITH WEIGHTED BALLASTS. IT SEEMS TO BE THAT THE LATTER IS ABOUT 4-7 LBS/S.F. Do you have any comments about which installation is better (thinking I would rather not have roof penetrations). I know there needs to be a complete structural inspection by an engineer, but this will not happen until after I decide on the company, so I am trying to get a rough idea about my situation.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Don't think so.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
10/11/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
Can I get back to you in a couple hours?
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant