Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

We want to take out a load bearing wall and want to make

sure that we replace it...
We want to take out a load bearing wall and want to make sure that we replace it with enough support beam and pilars as needed. We have an old flat roof (florida 1-story home on concrete slab) that was covered with a gable roof with trusses. The wall is about 14' and currently has two doors cut into it and a peek through in the middle.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: On one side is a concrete exterior wall. On the other side is an interior wall to a bedroom and bathroom.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/7/2016
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant

Hello

It's supporting a flat roof only?

What kind of roofing?

What is the rafter length on each side of the beam?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The flat roof is supported by the wall, but there is a trussed roof covering the flat roof. The flat roof is covered in tar and gravel. I'm not sure I understand your question about rafter length. Do those run parallel or perpendicular to the support beam?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not in a place that I can call at the moment.

Is the flat roof portion now enclosed by the trusses? So the flat is no longer a roof, but is interior?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
kind of. But I fear that the load bearing wall is still just that. I believe the trusses are more to just hold the new roof in place. We only purchased the home a year ago, and there are no plans for any of the original construction or work done to it in the last 40 years.

The trusses are not counting on this wall for support? Correct?

What is the length of the rafters (perpendicular to the beam) on each side of this wall?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not believe that they are.
The rafters are approximately 30'

Do you know how thick the layer of gravel is?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not very thick at all. The roof was replaced over 10 years ago, so there isn't much left. There was a layer of loose insulation (nearly weightless) that covers it.

I will assume 1" thickness

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or less

I will assume 1" for the analysis.

5.25" x 11.875" 2.0E LVL

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is that the kind of beam I need? What about pillars or support? Do I need any additional support under the beam?

That is the beam you need based on the assumptions stated. You can plan for a 4x4 doug-fir no. 1 for the posts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just on the 2 ends, or would I need something to support in the middle?

If the beam is spanning the 14' you stated, then only at the ends.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Excellent. Thank you so much.

No problem. I'm happy to help. Good luck with your project.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant