StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My clients are having a new home built. Upon walking through

Customer Question

My clients are having a new home built. Upon walking through yesterday, we came upon an area in the foundation walls where they had added the steel bolts. You could see that the foundation had a horizontal crack through probably an 8 ft section. They added two of those bolts. This home isn't even completed yet. I am concerned that this could be the beginning of bigger problems and need some advice on the best way to approach the builder. On another wall, there are two wood boards with heavy duty red colored bolts attached. Is this another form of structural reinforcement? Thanks.
JA: OK. Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: Buyers said that the concrete piece with the rebar that was on the exterior of the home had been hit and bent in to be parallel with the house. They brought it to the Superintendents attention a few weeks ago but were told no big deal. Now there are the reinforcements in the foundation. On the side where the boards are, there is a significant chunk out of the corner of the foundation.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I can help
Can you post any pictures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Says file is too big. Here are two pics. I have more
I tried to accept the call, but the payment didn't go through
I'm driving right now, but I'll get back to you asap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...now I am concerned that this may not be legit. There is no reason that card did not go through and I shouldn't have to enter yet another password. ugh. My bank just contacted me about unusual activity on my acct.
It's legitimate. It sometimes gets flagged by fraud prevention. That doesn't mean it's a scam