How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7256
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need to remove a 25ft wall that supports 2nd floor. How big

This answer was rated:

Need to remove a 25ft wall that supports 2nd floor. How big of a truss will I need to do this?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Removing a wall to make one big room.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I see no response
Do you want a truss or just a beam?
Will this support an attic with the second floor?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What ever will do the job.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
wall currently supports floor joits of 2nd floor and attic

What is the joist length on each side of the beam. Will it support any ceramic tile?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
About 20ft. No tile, hard wood floors
20' on each side or 20' total?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It only supports joist to one side at about 20feet. The other side joist run in parallel with that wall.
Thank you
You can plan for a 7" X 24" 2.0E LVL
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thats 7" wide, 24" thick. What does 2.0 E LVL mean

It's 7" wide x 24" deep. 2.0E is the stress grade of LVL

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it. Experts are credited for each appropriately rated answer.

StructuralEng and other Structural Engineering Specialists are ready to help you