StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am building a patio structure out of steel. The frame will

Customer Question

I am building a patio structure out of steel. The frame will be all steel and the ceiling will have a t and g ceiling with recessed lighting. The roof will coverd by a corrugated steel panel.
The total distance on the front beam is 30' the back beam is 16'
I am connecting the bams to steel ledgers on the house from the garage.
I am wondering what size beam i can use for the front 30' beam. Can i use a rectangle tube instead of a beam?
Please help.
Thanks!
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are some pictures for reference to design.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I can help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Please let me know what you have come up with in regards ***** ***** beam size and any other structural elements I need to incorporate?
Do you have a sketch you can post of the layout so I can track load to the beam?
Never mind. You have it already
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The beams running perpendicular are most likely going to be wood 4"x10" Wood beams. and the parallel joists are 2x10" wood lumber.Corrugated metal roofingsteel 1/4" ledger on the lefts side connected to the house.
What are the two elements that are perpendicular to the 30' beam?
Are they beams that cut the span of the joists? And the joists are parallel to the 30' beam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please see above^
What is the city and state so I can look at snow loading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This project will be built in Los Angeles, Ca. No need for snow loading calcs.
You can plan for a W10x30 I beam ASTM A992 Gr. 50
You will need to detail the beam connections into this beam t brace it against lateral torsional buckling
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a 10 x 30 i beam is the only option? I there an option for using a rectangle tube instead? and the beam will be welded on site to steel ledgers on both the house (lefts side) and the garage (right side)
There is an option for hey tube steel, but it will be heavier and less efficient. As far as the connection to the ledger him that is a detail level item that could be handled with an additional service. The leisure itself and the connection of the ledger to the house must also be adequate.
HSS 10x6x3/8 ASTM A500 Gr. B
That weighs 38 pounds per foot. It's just not as efficient as the I beam. It does have the benefit of the lateral torsional bracing not being a big factor for the beam connections
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, The lateral torsional issue, can that be resolved in the connections to the steel ledgers? What if the perpendicular support beams were made of steel that give the entire frame more rigidity?

No, that can't be resolved with the connection to the ledgers. That must occur along the length of the beam. If the perpendicular beams were steel, the connections could be more easily made to brace the beam. Wood can be made to brace it, too, it's just something that needs to be checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so we might be splitting the 30' beam just for transportation needs. The house is located in the hills and we might not be able to get a large truck bed up there.Can we splice the beam in half or thirds and still use the same W10x30 wide flange I beam and fabricate something like the photos attached?
It may be able to. The connection would have to be designed and the beam checked with the specific connection details. Typical, for a small beam like you have, it would need to be up sized
I can do that connection analysis and sketch as a premium service, if you need it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the premium service cost?
I'm not allowed to discuss the cost in the chat. I can submit the offer for you to consider. If you accept, I will need a few hours to do the design checks and sketch it for you.
I just submitted the offer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant afford that additional cost unfortunately. I do not need design work submitted I just need to know if I can splice the beam and use pates and bolts to accept the load.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plates*
You can splice it. But I can't tell you anything about the splice or if the beam needs to be larger without doing the design checks
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.