StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am living in a 1930's bungalow. The external walls are

Customer Question

Hi I am living in a 1930's bungalow. The external walls are solid and made up of block and brick. The thickness of the wall without the internal and external render is 9 " or 230. I was thinking of using a 158 x 153 RSJ (UC) OR 2 (PFC) 150 x 75 which would give me extra strength in the middle to span an opening of 4 . 8 and RSJ length of 5.1 to pick up the roofing trusses 4" x 2" wall plate which is sitting on the existing external wall, what would you recommend the best way to go. The pitch of the roof is 35 at the top of the roof there is 2 ridge tiles which are covered in asbestos slates. Look forward to your response Cheers Paul.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I can help
What will the beam support? Can you post a picture or sketch?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are you based? I am contacting you from the uk?
I know you're based in the UK. I'm in the US, but that's not the reason the question isn't clear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the information you give me comply with uk building regulations??
Any size I provide would be based on engineering principles that are consistent with all material design standards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent you 2 photographs, please let me know that you have received them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
The pictures have not come through yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took photos on my phone and responded to your emails.
My wife is on skype can we talk and video through that??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
skype contact: tracy.andrews20