Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

LVL less than 14 inch deep to span 22 feet opening carrying

Customer Question
roof load only JA: OK. Tell...
LVL less than 14 inch deep to span 22 feet opening carrying roof load only
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Already did
JA: Is there anything else the Structural Engineer should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/12/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Beam #5, asphalt roof and rafters.

1. What city and state for possible snow load?

2. Any storage in the attic area?

3. Horizontal distance from Beam #5 to ridge?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Baltimore Maryland
No roof or attic storage
No overhang but room addition
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nothing more to add

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I need to know Floor Joist #3 span distance (even if you do not have floor joists) from my sketch, then I can run some numbers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
23 feet

Thanks, ***** ***** headed into my office right now (West Coast time) and can get back with your around my lunchtime today, if that is OK?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought it was 30 m response

Let me try running some numbers quick before I leave.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How many questions does my $36 cover this week?

This question is covered until you get the answer your need and are happy with.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have another question on another 36 feet span garage beam size

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 22’ clear span beam:

5-1/2” x 18” King Beam 30F-E4 DF/SP

5-1/4” x 18” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 SP

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you will have a large opening in your existing exterior wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I saw an lvl table with 5-1/2 x 14" and my qustion is how do I get less than 14" and you are giving me 18". The idea and Q is how I can use beam less than 14" deep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do I need I-beam or 7"x12" engineered wood
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My original question was
"LVL less than 14 inch deep to span 22 feet opening carrying roof load only"
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant