Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I am building a 40 x 40 garage with a 10Ft plate height.

Customer Question
using a laminated beam what...
I am building a 40 x 40 garage with a 10Ft plate height. using a laminated beam what would the height and width and should I used one beam our two beams to make the span. I also am planing on using joist hanger for celing joist on 16" centers
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
9/9/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Do you have any plans or sketches you can share with me?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No , but the concrete slab was engineered with a 24x18 beam around the prim inter and a 24x 18 beam down the center
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still don't have a answer to my original questions?

I need to know where the beam you are asking about is located? Is it a ridge beam for the roof or is it going to be a cross beam to support your ceiling joists?

What city and state do you live in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both , the beam needs to support the Ridge (roofing) and the ceiling joists by way of joist hangers and the outside of the celling joists will be setting on the top plate

OK, so ridge beam to support 20' span roof rafters and another beam to support the 20' span ceiling joists?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm thinking the beam will be 40 Ft long set directly in the center , by doing this the celling joist will be 20Ft long. our m next option will be Two 40 Ft Beams divided equally thus making the celling joists approx. 13.33 ft each

1. So we are only talking about beams to hold up the ceiling joist, correct? If so, will there be any storage or occupancy in the attic area above the ceiling?

2. A 40' clear span for a laminate beam is very large, thus you would require a huge beam. I can run numbers for a 40' clear span.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did you run the numbers yet

Sorry for the delay. I am travelling to day and am responding right now from the airport during a layover. I will run some numbers this evening when I arrive home. Thanks

Before we get started I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

I can give you an engineered wood option for your 40’ clear span ridge beam, assuming a Live Load = 20 psf (no Snow Load) and a Dead Load = 10 psf:

7” x 24” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

There will be approx. 2.25" of deflection at midspan under total load.

I can give you an engineered wood option for your 40’ clear span ceiling beam, assuming a Live Load = 10 psf and a Dead Load = 10 psf:

7” x 22” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

There will be approx. 1.75" of deflection at midspan under total load.

These are Boise Cascade producs and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant