Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I need to move a 16000 pounds CNC milling machine in the

Customer Question
Good afternoon I need to move...
Good afternoon
I need to move a 16000 pounds CNC milling machine in the back of a building in NYC. It's an old building and the ground floor won't take the weight. We can't use a crane, prohibitively expensive.No space between buildings to go through the side either. The ground floor is 20 X 60 feet with 10 feet tall ceiling open all the way. There is a basement so re-inforcing the ground floor could be detrimental to the building. I was thinking of putting 2 parallel beam 70 feet long to go the length of the building and roll it through the building all the way to the back. A kind of bridge. Any thoughts or is that a crazy idea
Thank you for your help.
Etienne
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We intend to make a cement floor in the back of the building as well to support the machines. The bridge could be supported by that cement floor in tieback and the sidewalk in the front. We are also moving a CNC lathe weighting around 6000 pds. I can send a basic drawing of the building as well. If you have any other idea, they will be most welcomed.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you think the beam idea is a possibility, what size beams ?
The building itself has 4 X 12 wood beams every 16 inches with wood floor. Even with hoist below in the basement supporting metal beams across to roll the machine above might be taking a chance. That's why i was thinking avoiding putting any load on the ground.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can talk on the phone as well. I would really welcome various options on this endeavor
8/28/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
Can I get back to you later this evening?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't see the response
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't need the phone call now since there is another charge for it. I just like to see the response for new to see if it is helpful
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I didn't think I needed to sign for free trial to get the response. I already gave my CC number for this question
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me where the answer is ?

I apologize for the delay. I was traveling and just returned home.

The bridge idea is reasonable, but the beams would need to be extremely large to make that work.

I would do beams on the floor, similar to the bridge you're talking about, but lay them directly on the 4x12 joists. Then, in the basement, shore the joists directly below these rail beams.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.

StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant