Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I have approved plans for a small (24'x29') building at my

Customer Question
I have approved plans for...
I have approved plans for a small (24'x29') building at my home that will house some heavy objects like workout equipment and metal sculptures and a few people. The approved plans call for 2x10x12' lumber floor joists resting at the center of the 24' dimension on footing-supported 4x12 beams with spans less than 10 feet. To maximize the flatness of the final floor and to overbuild its load-carrying capacity, I would now like to substitute wood I-joists for the approved lumber joists and beams. But I don't know how to size the I-joists so that their performance is equal to or greater than that of the approved lumber. Weyerhaeuser publishes performance values for their Trus Joist products, but I don't understand the values and have no idea what the equivalent values are for the lumber. Is there a simple approach this non-engineer can take to select appropriate I-joists for my building? (Equivalent dimensions of I-joists to lumber?)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I NEGLECTED TO SAY THE APPROVED 2x10 FLOOR JOISTS ARE 16" O.C.
8/15/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

Can you draw a rough sketch and share it with me? There is a button on the Chat Window that lets you attach files.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try to send you plans. See small scale floor framing plan in upper left corner of second page.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, looks like I unintentionally sent them in triplicate.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't heard further from you, so thought I should let you know that I think I have enough of my answer from elsewhere to proceed. Thanks anyway.--PJ

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling this weekend.

Just ignore any future e-mails the system automatically sends you about Rating the Answer.

Good Luck with your project!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No problem. Thanks for being willing to help me. I'm sure I'll be back for more help.--PJ

Sounds good

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant