Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Need to find max load an existing second story storage deck

Customer Question
Hello need to find max...
Hello need to find max load an existing second story storage deck can support. It is made out of steel I beams and braces. What will be the easiest way to get this done. I do not know the steel grade only know the I beams dimensions.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
8/5/2016
Structural Engineer: StructuralEng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Hello
I can help
Can you post a framing sketch with all dimensions and sizes?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to calculate the max load a second story steel beam deck would support. I do not know how to get this done don't have steel beams grade , I do have the main dimensions of the beams.
Or can I least find a way to know only one of the beams max load would be and take this as the base line? will this be a safe assumption?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I looked at some charts in internet to calculate I beams max load but nothing make sense to me.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The deck has 17 I beams spaced 6.25" from each other, in a 65 ft. span(deck length) by 28ft (beams length). So the whole deck is 65 X 28 Ft.
Beams themselves are 7" tall; Width 8";and thickness 1/2" we have angle iron braces across the beams.
All the deck is supported by vertical I beams every 13ft.
Please post a sketch
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will take me a few...
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Main frame is made of I beams, the iron angle braces go across the beams.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
was this helpful?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess not.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did I get an answer???? if yes how can I get to see my anwer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am still awaiting for an answer, could anyone help me see my answer?

Hello. I apologize for the delay. I never received a notice that you had responded.

I have looked at your sketch and it is helpful. I do have some more questions for you. I can provide the allowable line load on a single beam of your choosing as this question or I can submit an additional service offer to provide the maximum allowable capacity (based on the controlling failure mode of the controlling beam) as an additional service, if you would like.

If you want the allowable line load (please note this is different than an allowable floor load), I can get that for you this morning. If you would like the allowable floor load in psf, I will submit the additional service offer for you. If you accept the offer, I will need about 4 hours once you answer all the remaining questions I will have to provide you with the capacity.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, so the allowable "line load" will this be as the max load an I beam would support? vs. allowable "floor load" the whole floor would support? not sure. Could you elaborate a little bit more? What I need is the maximum load the system can support. If the I beam load can be calculated as an isolated system being this the worst case scenario then lets get the line load.

Different units. Max floor load would be in pounds per square foot and controlled by the most critical member in the system.

The max beam load would be a line load on a single beam. It will not give you the capacity of the floor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
O.K. lets go for the floor max load. Do you need anything else?
Like any other piece of information? thanks again for your patience and support.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please let me know if something else is needed.

I will need quite a bit more information to determine the allowable floor loading. I will also need to submit an additional service offer for you.

I will post all of the questions I need answers to and then will submit the offer.

I need a plan sketch of the framing showing all posts and beams with dimensions.

I will need to know the exact dimensions of all beams.

I submitted the offer for you to consider. If you accept the offer, I will provide you the allowable floor loading within 4 hours of receiving all of the information requested.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not accept this offer ($180.00).
Could you please then just provide an answer for the max beam load capacity?
thanks.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not get an answer so far what is next now???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks.
Which beam do you want the allowable line load for?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The main floor "I "beams please, one of the 17 beams I mentioned before. If you could include I brief explanation of the calculation will be greatly apreciated, Thanks again.
StructuralEng
StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant