StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I am building a 36'x36' barn using 16 8x8 rough sawn posts

Customer Question

I am building a 36'x36' barn using 16 8x8 rough sawn posts (spaced 12' oc) to support 4 beams that will be used to support trusses that will form a 28' wide room upstairs for hay storage. The roof pitch will be 10/12 and it will have a metal roof. Expect around 600 bales of hay at 50lbs each. The question I have is what size of beams do I need to place on top of the posts. I plan on using framing lumber for the beams. They will be a full 8" wide.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I can help
Can I get back to you in the morning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The morning is fine. The barn is being built in central Maine so it will see snow. With the metal roof and pitch, I don't expect it to be a large load.
What is the city in Maine?
What is the maximum span of the beam? is this supporting the roof and the hay storage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The maximum span of the beam is 12 feet and yes the four beams will support the roof. the city is Sanford zip code 04073.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any update
I'm trying to understand exactly what you need. The original question goes into detail about the loft and hay, but you later say the beams are supporting the roof only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The beams will support the roof and a space in the trusses for hay storage. There will be a total of 16 8x8 rough sawn posts set on the frost wall and internal to the barn supporting the 4 beams that will run perpendicular to the trusses where the space upstairs for the hay will be stored. The question is on the sizing for the beams. I will construct them out of 2x material glued together for a total width of 8 inches. Do I need to use 2x8s, 2x10s, or 2x12s to support the hay load and the roof with requisite snow loading?

Thank you. The maximum span of the beams is 12' What is the spacing between the beams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The spacing is also 12'

You can't use dimension lumber for this. Not even close. You need steel or a robust LVL. Which do you prefer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LVL. What about solid rough sawn Beams? I have seen kits that use 8x10 beams for this application.

The application, yes, but not this loading. Hay storage requires a 300 psf loading. It's a very heavy load.

You will need a 7" x 18" 2.0E LVL

Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.