How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask walkereng Your Own Question
walkereng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 2600
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
walkereng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'd like to replace a RSJ with concrete beam, It supports to

Customer Question

I'd like to replace a RSJ with concrete beam
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: for aesthetics
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: It supports to floors above, residential 3 storey house
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Do you need a concrete beam sized and the rebar designed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a 3.2m open span do is just like to know in principle if it's possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks btw :)
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's definitely possoble

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wouldn't be too big for a residential home and replacing steel RSJ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In terms of design I assume I can use a local SE to check my home and roof and buy a pre-stressed 'off the shelf' beam?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Prestressed beams are not typically 'off the shelf' unless its a lintel for a masonry opening, but they're relatively small. Much smaller than you'll need.