walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I have a span of 21 feet, with floor joist 2x10, how many

Customer Question

I have a span of 21 feet, with floor joist 2x10, how many LVL do i need to ply together for that span?
JA: OK. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I want to remove a wall to open up a kitchen.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Structural Engineer should know?
Customer: The floor joist are about 11 feet long to right and 11 feet long to the left.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Structural Engineer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I can help

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a look at the following link and answer the questions at the bottom of the sheet? Your answers will allow me to accurately model the loading and size your beam. Thanks

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3LjUB_rxIbcNVlreGljdFZUZ3kxTHhvVDFnRV9uQQ

Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Beam # ***** , the spam will be 21 feet.
Joist span are 12 feet .
The weight of the roof is transfered to the exterior walls.
Saugus, Massachusetts.
We have asphalt roof shinges.
Just so you know, I will installing 4" metal post that will be sitting on the basement concrete walls.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted.

Based on your supplied information, I have assumed that no roof loading will be carried by this beam, just 2nd floor load and minimum attic load.

I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 21’ span beam:

Triple 1-1/2” x 18” Versa-Lam 2.0 3100 DF

Quadruple 1-1/2” x 16” Versa-Lam 2.0 2800 DF

These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area.

https://www.bc.com/locations/

You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, determine foundation requirements, and check your structure’s lateral stability due to the fact that you are removing a large portion of wall.

If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I want to use 9.5 can I use 5 or 6 of them??????
So this way the ceiling (which is 2×10) will be flat on first floor.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

You will not be able to span 21' with any lumber beam that is only 9.5" deep.

I can size a steel beam for you that can be 9.5" or less in depth if you like?

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any more questions