StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

My house is exactly two years old. Concrete foundation and

Customer Question

My house is exactly two years old. Concrete foundation and block walls. Grout in tiles ares are lifting up in master bathroom, kitchen, and foyer. I am remvoing carpet in one of the bedrroms and there is a1/8 inch wide crack on the foundation that goes from one wall to underneath another wall and im assuming go through the next room. No cracks in garage floor though. I do have the staircase cracks inside the garage on exterior block walls and out side of the home in about 5 places on house i have horizonal cracks about 6 foot wide in one part and other parts of the house outside i have the staircase cracks that are about 8 foot in height. Is this a major concern or not? I have no cracks in drywall anywhere although i do hear creaking noises coming from attic quit often. All windows open smoothly and doors. The way the builder "fixed" these cracks was using that special caulk to cover them up with and paint over them. You can see the shiney new paint so in a sense you can tell were the cracks were through the stucco.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi
Can you post some pictures for me to see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi . and yes. give me two minutes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the first picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This next picture is inside the garage. This is part of a crack. I have probably three other places like this that are about 6 feet long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The grout in all there areas of the house is literally popping up out of the tile to where I can literally use the hose on the vacuum to suck it up. Its dark now so i can take pictures of the outside of the house. No hollow or cracked tiles at least...
Is this in a slab on grade?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reason for my concern is because I just did a tile job covering the whole 2200 square foot home that was built in the 70's and i dont recall one crack in it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a slab on grade... No basement... Its in central florida. I havent come across any of the neighbors with the same issues i am having.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My house sits where the blue dot is. about 70 yards from the lake.. Not sure if my location of the house matters or not. So i am including this image just in case...
The cracks appear to be typical shrinkage cracks. I would not expect that to cause the grout to push up, however.
There may be a moisture management issue and moisture is making its way through the slab and causing problems with the grout.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so what should be done?
You should have someone come out to take a moisture reading on the slab and check if it's consistent with a tile floor installation requirements

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.