Papatrexas
Papatrexas, General Contractor
Experience:  I am licensed General & Electrical contractor for more then 35 years with 40 years experience in the construction industry.
76133288

Wanting to replace a 6'x6' patio door with a standard size

Customer Question

wanting to replace a 6'x6' patio door with a standard size patio door. The rough opening needs to be 80"x72". At issue is the ceiling height.
floor to bottom of double top plate = 84.5" (floor to ceiling 87")
That leaves me with 4.5" for a header. Currently there is a 2x8" built up header installed.
looking to get the correct header for this situation. lvl or steel beam or?
house is 26' wide(clear) with 2' overhangs
single story with no attic floor.
30# ***** load.
roof trussed 3-12 pitch. shingled.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  WCohn replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am afraid we can not give you specific advice. I will say you most likely will need a steel beam, but you definitely need to talk to a building engineer on the specifics of the beam and get it stamped for approval

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the reply, but I need a definite answer as to the header material type & size that will carry the load over the span given the parameters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please make my question available to other Experts.
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Papatrexas and I will be happy to assist you.

Can i get a picture of the 26' outside side

Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

I am gone to need a picture of the inside too fashing ouward. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

I was hopping the pictures will show me the door was going on the 'A' frame side of the house.

On the other hand it is possible to reconstruct the roof rafters and incorporate a 4x8 beam hang the roof rafters and the eaves extensions then the door will fit but it's kind of expensive work around and It will require an architect or some one to drew it out.

I hope this gives you some idea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the reply, but I need answer as to the header material type & size that will carry the load over the span given the parameters. I am assuming I need a steel beam, but what size will accomplish the task given the space,load and span?
Is there a different header material that i am unaware of?
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

4" I beam

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I look for a 4" I beam and find all kinds of information about steel grade, Type W, S and beam standards.
a 4" I beam is too vague.
Did you load test the beam to the house/structure parameters given?
what are the specs on the beam you tested?
Expert:  Papatrexas replied 1 year ago.

Like Wade say earlier this request is for an engineer we are not an engineers so I will opt out maybe some on ells can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you aware that Justanswer.com is advertising you as structural engineers?
I was informed that my question would be answered by a structural engineer if I paid the $$.