Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

Shingling a roof. The roof isn't square. How do I lay

Customer Question
straight chalk lines?...
Shingling a roof. The roof isn't square. How do I lay straight chalk lines?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
6/15/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant

I can help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi

Off course, you have to start at the eave of your roof with your shingles and lay out your chalk lines parallel to your eave and work your way to the ridge.

Any un-squareness will have to be taken into consideration at the ridge, when you put the ridge caps shingles on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't my chalk lines need to be square?

Your chalk lines will be square with the your starting point, the eave, and will be square to each other all the way up to the ridge.

The only part that will not be square is your last chalk line relative to your roof ridge.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This roof isn't square. I was going to measure the ridge then divide by 2. Then measure the roof at the eves and divide by2 then snap a chalk line then using a t square to snap a chalk line parallel to the ridge
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then start the 6" chalk lines

You really just need keep the horizontal chalk lines parallel to your eave and the trim the edges as you go.

I guess I do not know the actual extent of the roof not being square, can you give me an idea?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll take measurements

Ok, let me know. No hurry.

Let me know when you come back online.

walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant