StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I bought a 1906 victorian. The kitchen measures 12 feet by

Customer Question

Hi, I bought a 1906 victorian. The kitchen measures 12 feet by 12 feet. it was an addition built in 1950s. There is a bathroom on top of the kitchen. The ceiling beams are sister joined. each beam is 2 by 6 hence the sister joined beams are 4 x 6? the studs are also 2 by 6inches. Are the beams enough to support the bathroom upstairs? or do we need to add any reinforcement? if the latter what type?
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Is there any ceramic tile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is tile in the bathroom that is on top of the kitchen. I don't see any damages in the tile. in the 2nd floor, the area near the bathroom walls upstairs are about 0.3 inches lower than the rest of the 2nd floor so it appears that the ceiling sunk a little around the bathroom area. the bathroom is new -installed 6 months ago. regarding the kitchen, we removed the drywall on the kitchen ceiling, then we saw the studs and sister joined beams.they also do not appear damage. one of the beams was cut through to place the plumbing. would this make the structure weaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here are the pictures of the ceiling beams. you can see that they got cut through to place the plumbing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
in this photo you can see how the ceiling beams are sister joined. the ceiling beams are resting in the window frame. the windows frame are on top of a 4 feet concrete wall

At least they headed off the one beam, which is more than I see most plumbing contractors do. What they did, however, did substantially weaken the floor.

When the sisters are not full length, the nailing pattern becomes especially important. It's the difference between adding strength and stiffness to the joists or just adding dead weight.

The sistered 2x6s will work for strength to span 12', but they are not even close to working for deflection for a ceramic tile floor for deflection.