How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7260
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Have a concrete foundation attached to my house that is

Customer Question

I Have a concrete foundation attached to my house that is 4ft deep with a footing , the back wall is 4ft 5inches above grade ( I built this 12 years ago for a future carport ) Now I would like to make it 8 ft. longer matching the exsisting wall, the wall is 10 inches wide. The local Bld. inspector is reguesting that I have it stamped by a structural engineer because of the 4 ft. 5 inches exsposed. I having a difficult time finding an engineer for such a small project . I would like to know if this really has to done .
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Having the wall stop that far above grade and not attach to a diaphragm puts it into a cantilever condition. That definitely does need to be looked at.
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Do you have any other questions for me on this topic? If you could rate my answer, I would appreciate it.