Structural Engineering

Ask Structural Engineering Questions and Get Expert Answers ASAP

Structural Engineering

I had a kitchen floor installed in a house built in

Customer Question
Hello. I had a...
Hello. I had a kitchen floor installed in a house built in 1970. the floor joists are 10 inches on a 13 foot span. The flooring installer misled us as to his experience and he leveled the floor with layers of backerboard, which was heavy. He also added a lot of leveling compound and installed a pretty solid tile on top of it. I am concerned that he has added too much weight to floor. I have been told that he should have only used plywood and shims and a small amount of leveler. The floor was out of level almost 3/4 of an inch in spots due to it being a foreclosure and had a flooded kitchen and other issues. Is it a concern?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Structural Engineering
5/17/2016
Structural Engineer: walkereng, Consultant replied 1 year ago
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
1. can you tell me the exact build-up of material he used?2. what is the spacing of the 2x10 floor joists?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The spacing is standard i think..16 inches? He used a layer on one half of the floor that was 1/2 inch of the lightweight backerboard which is 44 pounds for a 3 x 5 sheet and up to 3 layers of the same product in 1/4 inch size which is 22 pounds a piece for the same size along with floor leveler and thin set.. a good amount of it. And the tile as well, which is porceline

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The spacing is standard i think..16 inches? He used a layer on one half of the floor that was 1/2 inch of the lightweight backerboard which is 44 pounds for a 3 x 5 sheet and up to 3 layers of the same product in 1/4 inch size which is 22 pounds a piece for the same size along with floor leveler and thin set.. a good amount of it. And the tile as well, which is porcelin

I will take a look and get back with you this afternoon, if that is OK?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I think we need to choose a direction as to which way to go in the next hour or so.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hello. Have you an answer to the question? Thank you

Sorry for the delay I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted. I have made the following assumptions:1. 2x10's spanning 13' and spaced at 16" o.c.2. Live Load of 40 psf3. Dead Load of 30 psf Bending Stress governs these floor joist members and here are the values for various species of lumber:Douglas Fir (#2 grade) members would be at 115% of the allowable Bending valueSPF (#2 grade) members would be at 119% of the allowable Bending valueSouthern Pine (#2 grade) members would be at 143% of the allowable Bending value
If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still don't understand. Do you feel the weight is acceptable or not?
With all three of the different wood species I ran numbers for, the floor members are overstressed.
walkereng
walkereng
walkereng, Consultant