How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask StructuralEng Your Own Question
StructuralEng, Consultant
Category: Structural Engineering
Satisfied Customers: 7185
Experience:  Structural Engineer
Type Your Structural Engineering Question Here...
StructuralEng is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to replace and recess an existing header between

Customer Question

I would like to replace and recess an existing header between my living room and dining room on the first floor of a two story home. The existing header is made up of 3 - 2x10 by 12 foot beams. It is supporting the second floor joists from below and there is a load bearing wall above that supports the second floor ceiling joists. I would like to recess a new engineered beam into the first floor ceiling using joist hangers and open the span up to 16 feet. How do I determine the type and size of joist needed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I can help
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
I can size it for you, but it will be a flitch plate. It won't work without the steel.
What is the joist length on each side? Will it support any ceramic tile?

Related Structural Engineering Questions