StructuralEng
StructuralEng, Consultant
Experience:  Structural Engineer
59685895

I have a living room with 2x6 bottom rafters spanning 26 feet

Customer Question

I have a living room with 2x6 bottom rafters spanning 26 feet rafters stayed wet from roof leak in middle of house for 15 years has sagged 1 inch, would a versalam 2x6x26 for 2 rafters in middle of house be suffiecent, had shakes now want to put metal roof on the house??? or know of a fix ,jacking back into place no problem need to keep it there..
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello
How are you? I'll be happy to assist you
Are you asking about a beam perpendicular to the joists?
It sounds like you may have a serious decay problem. You should have this investigated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT is just the bottom rafter that goes from top plate to top plate no decay wood is good would get wet in rainy season then dry out only 2 rafters did this the ones that got wet??
Cycles of wet and dry is exactly what causes wood to decay
Is it 26' from ridge to rave?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is top plate of wall to top plate opposite wall sides 26 foot span has vertical truss support v braces 8 feet from wall each side included in the 26 foot span open ceiling like a barn/ was told versalam 2x6x26 can carry a heavier load span than a regular 2x6x26 lumber???
Can you please post a picture?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes can send by e-mail once i down load on to computer 60 years old not to good with electronics no phone to send with have old flip phone tell me how to get picture to you please need help bad.
You can post here with the paper clip icon
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i had pictures from phone download onto disk don't see any paper clip just share dont know computers to good sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think the pictures are being sent let me know that you recieved them thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you also answer the question can a versalam 2x6x26 feet carry a load more than a regular 2x6x26 feet lumber i am being told it can span without any sagging verses regular lumber ????
A versalam can carry more load than dimension lumber of the same size, but it will still deflect. It's approximately 20% more stuff than dimension lumber so it will deflect approximately 17% less under the same load. A 2x6 is very small for a 26' span in any case
It appears from the pictures that there may be some decay. There is a lot of staining and color changes