walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need a lvl beam that spans 20'-4" holding up a shingled

Customer Question

I need a lvl beam that spans 20'-4" holding up a shingled roof that spans 27'-5". We can go as deep as 14" with the beam.
5:12 pitch roof
Category: Structural Engineering
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I this for a ridge beam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No an end beam at the lanai.
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I have several questions:1. So there will be 27.5' span roof rafters that are supported at one end by a structure and the other end will rest on this proposed 20.5" span beam?2. Will the the rafters overhang past this beam a foot or two?3. I assume you are not in an area with snow, correct?4. To use an LVL beam, the beam must be protected from the weather, will this beam be protected?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Question 1. Yes
2. 2'-0"
3. no snow 140mph
4.it will be wrapped and stucco'd , would paralam be what we should use?
Expert:  walkereng replied 1 year ago.
I’d like to point out that a Professional Engineer’s standard of care typically includes a site visit to assess field conditions and get an overall understanding of the structure. This can obviously not be accomplished through the internet. The information provided here is meant for planning purposes only (general sizing and budgeting) and is based on the information provided by you. All loading cases considered are for vertical loads only, no lateral analysis has been completed. The information should be verified by a professional engineer who can visit the site to ensure that potentially important information has not been overlooked or omitted. I can give you a couple engineered wood options for your 21’ span beam:3-1/2” x 16” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP5-1/4” x 14” Versa-Lam 1.7 2650 SP These are Boise Cascade products and you can go to the following link to find distributors in your area. http://www.bc.com/locations/#!/building-materials-distribution You will need to have a local engineer detail your connections, size your support columns, and determine foundation requirements. If you feel you have received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Rating button that is appropriate. Experts are credited for each adequately Rated answer they provide. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks