walkereng
walkereng, Consultant
Experience:  Over 30 years of Structural Engineering experience.
61772417

I need a structural engineer to help determine how to safely

Customer Question

I need a structural engineer to help determine how to safely remove a 5' section of TJI floor joists. These are the second floor of the home, near the front edge of the home (load bearing wall). We are removing the floor to open the entry way to light from a dormer above that was hidden in an unused closet. There is a support beam crossing perpindicular at the back side of this new opening, and no weight would be on the opening from above, just open. Please let me know what other specifics you need to evaluate the stress on the structure. Thanks.
Category: Structural Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sending pictures also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 3 pictures, first is a joist example from the back of the home at the similar roofline. Second is the area to be cut away from above (Note: there is a porch overhang of the roof past the dormer in view, which is already forward of the front door. The TJI joists will not be cut away except about 2' back from the dormer edge, so a total of nearly 4' back from the roofline.) The third picture shows the area to be cutaway from below (Note the beam in the foreground of the shot, this will remain and the opening will just be the 5' from that beam forward to above the front door, and continuing over the stair landing at the same depth. Area already open all the way up over the stairs.) Also note the wall to the right of the third picture. The joist above that wall extends out another 16' (not in the cut away area) as this is where the garage begins to extend outward with a different roofline from the front of the home.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
quot;always within a day" is coming up in about 20 minutes. Haven't heard a peep yet. I have a subscription, so that is weird. I started asking this question without signing in once, and had an answer from a structural engineer in less than an hour, but the account was incorrect so customer service deleted that request. I re-made the request under our subscription we have paid for the last few months - and am getting nothing but the sound of crickets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
36 hours passed. Anyone there?
Expert:  StructuralEng replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'm sorry that this happened. It appears that the value assigned to the question by customer service is too low for anyone to take the time to answer. Even for a simple and straightforward question. This one is not because of the shoring involved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What other information would be useful to calculate the shoring required?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will offer a bonus for the answer. Please respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am willing to provide for expert service consultation as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sad that I could not get a response.
This looks like a fairly complicated and in-depth problem that will require extensive back and forth. I will submit an additional service offer for you to consider to work through this with you. If you accept the offer we'll get started right away and I'll work with you to get the best and most cost-effective solution.
I'm sorry. The system won't allow me to submit an additional service offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They cancelled my membership since they couldn't get the value adjusted or get a response. Wish you had offered sooner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can contact me at***@******.*** or(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be glad to cover the fees thru the system as a non member.